Top 10 Gift Ideas for Seniors
Christmas, New Year’s, Valentines Day, Birthdays – What do you get for someone who has everything? Or wants nothing? That’s often the dilemma during the holidays with older adults.
Truthfully, seniors can seem content with very little, which could make holiday gift-giving a challenge. You can shop locally in [CITY] or online as well.
Here are some ideas that may surprise, and please, the older adult on your list:
1. A collection of herbal teas. Teas can be festive and soothing, particularly during the winter months. Why not collect a variety of types of herbal teas, wrap them in red cellophane, place them in a festive basket and tie them with a bow or ribbon.
2. A night light. Falls are among the biggest risks that seniors face. That’s why night lights can be the perfect gift. Even if an older loved one already has a night light, he or she can’t have too many! Offer to place them in bedrooms, bathrooms and hallways.
3. Large print playing cards, puzzles or books. Older adults can still enjoy doing many of the things they’ve always loved if they’re easier to see. Check out your favorite discount store or order online for large-print gifts.
4. Flashlight. Consider what a lifesaver a flashlight could be if the lights go out at your senior’s home. Or think how a flashlight could be a safety benefit on his or her night stand.
5. Homemade treats. Homemade goodies can take older adults back to their own holiday gatherings. Make sure you’re baking something sugar free if your senior is diabetic.
6. New socks. Let’s face it – everyone needs new socks. Just for the occasion, pick out a festive holiday pair that will make your older loved one smile.
7. Photo album. Maybe you’ve had a wedding in the family this year. Or perhaps there’s been the birth of a baby or another special occasion. Could be you’ve been going through old boxes and have run across a variety of old family photos. What a special gift to present to your senior loved one this holiday season.
8. Restaurant gift cards. Most older adults, if they can, love eating out! Why not give a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant.
9. Lotion. What better treat for any older adult – man or woman – than to give a good quality lotion. Dry skin can be a problem year round, so a nice lotion is a gift that will remain popular with your senior year-round.
10. Companionship. Sometimes the best thing you can give an older adult is the gift of your time. Seniors – particularly those who can no longer get out – yearn for visitors and the opportunity to hear what’s going on in your life and share memories of the past.
Many other gift ideas could delight your older adult, along with the additional companionship of a Home Instead CAREGiverSM.
Contact your local Home Instead Senior Care® office today to learn how a CAREGiver could help your senior loved one.
CAREGivers not only provide companionship, they can help around the house, or accompany older adults on their favorite outings, during the holidays and throughout the year!